Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Trial Attorney for our Houston, TX Market.
Provides legal services of a simple and moderate nature to clients. Handles simple to moderately complex levels of lawsuits through trial, arbitration or appeal. May handle some more complex litigation upon assignment. Work performed requires independent judgment and often involves direct client contact.
Applies subject-matter-expert functional knowledge to produce complex work deliverables in support of departmental initiatives. Manages broad functional projects and/or participates as a SME project resource on larger initiatives. Identifies opportunities and facilitates significant improvements to processes and systems. Performs complex tasks under minimal supervision and has discretion to deviate from established procedures and guidelines. Serves as a team lead and may be a proxy for middle-management leadership. Coaches and provides on-the-job training for other team members.
- Handles insurance defense cases through trial, arbitration or appeal for clients on cases assigned by Claims Litigation Operations personnel. Provides legal advice and strategy on assigned cases. May also provide advice and handle more complex pre-litigation matters.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, statements, memoranda, trial briefs and other legal documents on assigned cases. Provides legal advice and representation to clients, and appears in court as required. May attend mediations or conduct direct settlement negotiations with plaintiffs' attorneys regarding cases in suit.
- Provides in house training for P&C claims personnel and claims litigation personnel regarding changes in litigation and/or appropriate processes and procedures.
- Acquires and applies expert knowledge of relevant legal/litigation discipline. May assist with high profile and highly complex litigation cases.
- Evaluates case specific legal issues and directs appropriate resources and responses.
- Provides guidance to team members and claims department related to file or claim related legal issues. Serves as a mentor to team members.
- May participate in programs and projects as assigned.
- JD from an accredited law school
- Admitted to the practice of law in Texas
- Active member of good standing of the bar in Texas
- 4+ years experience practicing law within field of personal injury litigation
- Attorney must have a Texas license, and remain in good standing with the SBOT.
- Prefer attorney that is Board Certified in either Civil Trial Law or Personal Injury Trial.
- Prefer attorney that is a member of ABOTA, or eligible for membership.
- Prefer attorney that is NITA Trial Advocate Certified, or equivalent.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.