Under the direction of the unit Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides highest quality of legal service to SJLS clients in a variety of poverty law matters. The Staff Attorney also acts as a liaison between SJLS and the local community groups and engages in community outreach, community legal education.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle intake interviews;
- Provide direct representation to clients in a variety of legal matters, including but not limited to family, landlord/tenant, housing, consumer, public benefits, healthcare, employment and senior issues;
- Participate in group representation, where appropriate;
- Participate in staff and case acceptance meetings and program wide working groups;
- Work with the Managing Attorney, Director of Litigation and/or the Executive Director in planning, developing and litigating significant impact cases;
- Participate in community outreach and community legal education, clinics and seminars;
- Develop new ideas and methods to provide service to clients;
- Work with other staff as an effective member of the team;
- Assist in supervising paralegals, clerical workers and students;
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Admission to the Bar of New Jersey preferred but not required. Must be a member of the Bar in any state or be eligible and willing to take the next available New Jersey Bar Exam;
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred;
- Ability to relate to low income clients and groups with demonstrated interest in poverty law issues and/or public interest service.
Qualified applicants with an interest in this position should send resume, writing sample and cover letter expressing interest in this position to: Brittani Morris, PHR, SHRM-CP, Director of Human Resources, South Jersey Legal Services, Inc. 745 Market St. 2nd Floor, Camden, NJ 08102 or via email at BMorris@lsnj.org. EOE/AA Employer.