Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Senior Bank Attorney for our San Antonio, TX facility.
Responsible for providing legal advice and counsel within Bank legal department with respect to Boards of Directors and governance. Ensures the Bank Board of Directors’ activities are conducted in compliance with the applicable regulatory requirements, as well as in alignment with board governance best practices. Responsible for foreseeing, mitigating, and managing legal risks related to board governance.
- Assists in the creation of Bank Board meeting strategy and agendas, to include topics to be covered during Board meetings.
- Reviews materials presented to the Board prior to meetings to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews and edits prior board meeting minutes and presents to board for approval.
- Researches and documents bank regulatory requirements which drive board engagement and review.
- Applies corporate governance best practices and guidelines to ensure bank board adherence.
- Applies advanced knowledge to mitigate legal, regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA Bank.
- Engages and collaborates with other legal experts within the company and at times outside counsel.
- May work with outside counsel or contract professionals to complete assignments.
- Provides solution-oriented legal advice and counsel to internal clients to support business objectives.
- May assist more senior attorneys in providing advice and counsel on highly complex matters.
- Responsible for analyzing the application of laws and regulations and preparing recommendations and/or documents to support the organization.
- Applies advanced knowledge regarding relevant business, industry, and area of legal specialty.
- JD from an accredited law school
- 7+ years’ experience practicing law within legal area of expertise
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- Active member of good standing of the bar in at least one state or territory
- Knowledge of bank regulators and related requirements (OCC/CFPB).
- Experience in a law firm or corporate in-house legal department working with boards of directors, and applying governance principles and practices to boards.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Ability to influence members of executive management and executive council
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.