Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Senior Attorney - Collections for our San Antonio, TX or Phoenix, AZ facility.
Responsible for providing expert banking legal counsel to Senior Leaders. Responds to needs of USAA Bank’s collections department and the USAA Chief Legal Office by identifying and analyzing complex and unique legal issues and provide resolution for these legal matters. Ensures the company's collection activities are conducted in compliance with applicable laws. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Works independently on matters of significance to the organization and demonstrates the ability to resolve complex issues particularly in the consumer bankruptcy and collections area. May work with outside counsel.
- Independently provides strategic and skillful legal counsel within area of expertise to manage regulatory, compliance and litigation risk to USAA businesses. Leads highly complex legal and unique work assignments to deliver highly effective problem resolutions. Engages and collaborates with other legal experts within the company and at times outside counsel.
- Leads highly complex legal research and provides solution-oriented legal advice and counsel to senior level internal clients that support business objectives. Applies critical thinking to review complex and non-legal material for legal implications that may pose a risk to the organization. Produces clear and concise written materials appropriate for submission to senior level internal clients.
- May prepare written legal positions involving highly complex and unique issues that require a high degree of independent legal thought and strategy for resolution. May act as a legal point of contact and proactively partners with Compliance and the USAA businesses to mitigate legal compliance and legal risk. Keeps abreast of any changes in regulations and laws advising appropriate organizational leadership of such changes. Advises senior executive management, to include executive council, on issues.
- Provide legal advice to cross-functional team members in strategy development and implementation of business solutions. May train less experienced lawyers, compliance, business and risk partners on a day-to-day basis and serve as a resource to team members on escalated issues of a complex nature.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- 7 or more years legal experience.
- Admitted to the practice law in one state or a territory of the USA
- Active member and in good standing of the bar in at least one state or territory
- 5 or more years legal experience in the consumer bankruptcy, repossession and collections areas.
- Prior law firm or in-house counsel experience.
- Strong Communication skills
- Ability to influence members of executive management and executive council
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.