Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate or mortgage finance law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents, such as those related to board meetings and motions, mortgage business, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with management on corporate initiatives, product development, credit risk policies or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May act as a subject area/technical expert, or key advisor on significant business or product decisions. May manage a specific unit or specialist function, which may include in-house counsel, paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and service by combining skill and knowledge in mortgage finance, real estate law and corporate law with sound business acumen and judgement of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Provide oversight of Mortgage Default Counsel Law Firms and general compliance activities, including maintenance and revision of policies and procedures
- Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
- Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
- Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
- Plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house counsel, team members, and/or legal support staff.
- Supervise non-routine litigation involving Fannie Mae loans
- Analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent required
- 8+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Litigation or litigation oversight experience required
- Default legal experience strongly preferred
- Experience with policies and procedures preferred
- Mortgage industry/GSE experience preferred
- Bankruptcy or bankruptcy oversight experience preferred
- Single – family consumer regulatory experience preferred
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.