EOE STATEMENT: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Disability Rights New York (DRNY), the Protection and Advocacy System for New York State, is seeking an experienced individual with a passion for achieving justice for individuals with disabilities. This is an opportunity to join a statewide organization advancing the civil rights and legal rights of people with disabilities. DRNY challenges systemic abuse, neglect, discrimination, and legal rights violations through legal case-handling, individual and systemic reform litigation, public investigations, advocacy, and collaboration with stakeholders. Justice for individuals with disabilities is DRNY's focus.
The Director will oversee the coordination and administration of all aspects of the state-wide Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of the Representative Payee program. This responsibility includes supervision of legal and other professional staff, strategic planning, leading program activities, and providing oversight on legal practice and strategy. This position reports to the Legal Director.
- Oversees program planning and facilitation, outreach, systemic advocacy, and investigation and monitoring activities;
- Develops, implements, and evaluates annual goals and objectives of the program;
- Supervises staff within the program, including recruiting, training, planning and scheduling, and evaluating staff;
- Provides status reports of goals and objectives of the program;
- Maintains a professional level of knowledge of issues affecting clients;
- Develops and manages a strategic advocacy plan to provide services and address individual and systemic problems;
- Develops and manages an outreach plan which promotes community understanding and support of DRNY’s objectives;
- Supports DRNY’s policies, procedures and practices;
- Demonstrates commitment to professional and ethical standards;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience;
- Must pass required background checks and obtain required clearances;
- Prior leadership experience developing programs and teams;
- Prior experience with mentoring, coaching, and skill building;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Excellent judgement and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to civil rights or public interest law;
- Management skills and experience overseeing, and providing direction to, professional staff.
- A passion for working with mission-driven organizations;
- Leadership and executive responsibilities within a public organization, nonprofit organization or law firm;
- Litigation experience;
- Knowledge of and experience working with people with disabilities.
Schedule: 9am - 5pm Reports to: Program Director Travel: Yes
Director usualy performs work in an office environment but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplace. The Director will be expected to travel within and outside the state as necessary.
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 9-5
FLSA Status: Exempt
Report to: Program Director
Job Status: Full-Time
To view more about our organization, check out our YouTube videos highlighting DRNY’s mission in advocating for the civil rights of people with disabilities. Please visit our DRNY YouTube Channel and review our recent DRNY Newsletter.
LOCATIONS: Disability Rights New York - Rochester
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1