Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Diversity and Human Resources is responsible for assisting with the advancement of the CBA Diversity and Inclusion Pledge and Plan. The Director should understand the business impact of diversity and inclusion and leverage key metrics and strategies to drive positive business outcomes, internally and externally. The Director is also responsible for promoting and implementing human resource values by planning and managing human resource programs, ensuring that the organization is attracting and retaining an exemplary and diverse staff. Under the direction of the Executive Director, will be responsible for creating and advancing the organizational plan and strategic direction of the Association in the areas of diversity and inclusion, promotion, compensation, evaluation, support, mentoring, and staff training and development.
• Recognizes and addresses implicit bias, develops practices, policies, trainings, and related materials to create a culture that embraces diversity at all levels; highlights the importance of maintaining a culturally sensitive work environment.
• Supports management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions; analyzes information and applications.
• Guides management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, including the Employee Handbook, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing Association values.
• Establishes fair hiring procedures that are consistently applied across all departments to provide the Association with an exemplary and diverse staff.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions. • Helps to enhance diversity and inclusion education efforts, supporting the development and facilitation of new workshops, training, tools and resources.
• Assists with diversity analytics, including tracking metrics, generating assessments to highlight trends, and communicating impact across diversity programs and initiatives.
• Conducts research and stay current on diversity best practices and new diversity programs and initiatives. Communicates same to Executive Director and Diversity & Inclusion co-chairs.
• Serves as a member of and liaison to the Association’s committees focused on diversity, inclusion and the elimination of bias including the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, the Membership Committee, and the Lawyer Wellbeing Committee. Coordinates, assists and supports these Committees in the execution and delivery of Diversity and Inclusion programs and initiatives.
• Serves as a resources to other Association’s committees, sections, and staff liaisons regarding programming focused on promoting diversity and inclusion and the elimination of bias.
• Assists in developing strategies for the recruitment and retention of diverse Association members and leaders.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential employment information.
• Strong judgment, decision-making capabilities, and problem-solving skills.
• Cultural competency in diversity, inclusion, and social justice issues.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and connect to diverse groups and individuals.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills with an emphasis on the ability to build strong interpersonal relationships at all levels of an organization.
• Candidate should have strong computer skills, proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and various databases. Job Prerequisites
• Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
• Two (2) to five (5) years of experience in Diversity and Inclusion and Human Resources or related field. Understanding and experience with programs that address issues surrounding diversity, inclusion and the elimination of bias. Understanding of these issues as they relate to the legal profession, preferred.
• Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends to support programs and events.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Connecticut Bar Association
30 Bank Street
New Britain, CT 06051