Are you interested in helping solve today's most critical housing challenges? In simplest terms, Fannie Mae serves the people who house America. We work at the heart of housing by providing reliable, affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times, buying loans that banks and other lenders originate, so they can fund new loans. This gives more people the opportunity to buy, refinance, or rent homes and apartments. Creating these opportunities is what drives the people who work at Fannie Mae.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate or mortgage finance law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents, such as those related to board meetings and motions, mortgage business, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with management on corporate initiatives, product development, credit risk policies or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May act as a subject area/technical expert, or key advisor on significant business or product decisions. May manage a specific unit or specialist function, which may include in-house counsel, paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and service by combining skill and knowledge in mortgage finance, real estate law and corporate law with sound business acumen and judgement of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
- Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
- Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
- May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house counsel, team members, and/or legal support staff.
- Draft templates. Write documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
- Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- Juris Doctor (JD) required
- 8+ years of related experience
- Experience negotiating and closing complex commercial real estate finance transactions. Multifamily or affordable housing experience is highly desirable. Other commercial, leasing or corporate transaction experience desirable.
- Experience providing coordination and oversight of outside counsel.
- Experience working independently in fast-paced environment.
- Experience communicating with clients and building trusted advisor relationships.
- Experience working in a collaborative legal or business environment
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.