Are you interested in helping solve today's most critical housing challenges? In simplest terms, Fannie Mae serves the people who house America. We work at the heart of housing by providing reliable, affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times, buying loans that banks and other lenders originate, so they can fund new loans. This gives more people the opportunity to buy, refinance, or rent homes and apartments. Creating these opportunities is what drives the people who work at Fannie Mae. For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding board meetings and motions, mergers or acquisitions, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
• Provide legal advice and service by combining skill in corporate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
• Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
• Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
• Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
• Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
• Draft templates. Write documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
• Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses. • May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of legal support staff.
• Juris Doctorate or equivalent required
• 6+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Legal experience in a broad range of corporate governance issues affecting large financial institutions or large public companies.
• Relevant corporate governance experience in a large law firm or corporate law department.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; leadership and people management skills.
• Excellent advocacy, negotiation, writing, and organizational skills; the ability to work well with clients in a dynamic and fast-paced environment; the ability to focus on both the big picture and the details; and the ability to meet deadlines and work well with peers.
• Prior experience providing corporate secretarial support to public company board of directors preferred.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation. Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.